Don’t have a trust fund? Ed’ll give you the cash! (Who’s your daddy now?) Ed knows what it’s like to be an unpaid intern—eating ramen noodles every day, temping for cash, scrounging just about anything from the giveaway tables at work just because it’s “free.”
To help you out, Ed’s gonna give awesome unpaid media interns $1,200 to use for living, travel and whatever other expenses. Assuming Ed can raise the dough, there’ll be one lucky whippersnapper each fall and spring semester and two recipients in the summer.
Yah, Ed’s got rules. Sure, they’re boring, but read them closely and make sure you meet every requirement before you apply—and, who knows, maybe you’ll be able to afford a little chicken for your ramen!
1) If you’re an undergrad, you must be at least a sophomore in college at the time you apply. If you’ve graduated (undergrad or grad school), you must be out of school for 24 months or less.
2) If you are picked to receive Ed’s Trust Fund, you must be able provide proof that you have an unpaid* media** internship (in the form of a letter from the internship coordinator on company letterhead or via company email) within 5 days of notification that you’ve been selected. Your internship must be at least 20 hours a week.
* Stipends are okay, as long as it’s under $500 and the amount is declared in the application. Interns who are paid hourly are not eligible.
** Ed will consider all interns who work in all areas of online and print publishing, with a preference given to those working in editorial for magazines and content-based websites.
3) Submit the application by 11:59 p.m. on the due date. Incomplete applications will be disqualified without notice. Convince us why you are the most deserving whippersnapper out there. The Ed Staff will review essays for passion, need, and creativity.
THE ALL-IMPORTANT DEADLINES, DATES, AND NOTES
1) Application Deadlines:
Fall term: Application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on November 15
Spring term: Application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on February 15
Summer term: Application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. by May 30
2) Where to Submit:
Please submit the application by 11:59 p.m. on the due date. Applications received after this time will not be considered.
3) Proof of Internship Deadline:
Ed will notify via e-mail or phone the winner within two weeks of deadline. Within 5 days after notification of winning, the winner(s) must be able to prove, with a letter from the internship coordinator on company letterhead or via company email, that you have an unpaid internship that fits within the above requirements.
4) Award Presentation:
Ed’s staff will deliver the check for $1,200 to the winner(s) within two weeks after proof of internship has been received.
Email questions to email@example.com with “Ed’s Trust Fund Question” in the subject line. It may take 24 hours for your questions to be answered, so keep this in mind in accordance with the deadlines. There will be no exceptions to the deadline.
Done reading the rules? Fill out the application!
Image source: Flickr user GotCredit