When I was summing up the results of last year’s Talent Fairy Hiring Report I ended my post with unbridled optimism: “Cheers to the incredible new decade TK!”
None of us would have predicted that this year would be as hard as it has been. Since the pandemic hit us in March, the media industry lost thousands of jobs and many publications folded altogether. Editors who didn’t get sacked saw salary cuts or were furloughed. Ad spending dropped and job postings and freelance assignments were few and far between. (On Ed2010’s job board there was nary a post for all of April and May!)
Enough! Enough of the bad news!
Let’s hear some good news! What are you HOPEFUL about in 2021? What has to get better? Some things off the top of my head:
• Remote work will be respected and accepted more for FTE roles
• Same goes for flex work schedules
• Non media brands will invest in content marketing over traditional advertising
• There will be more roles in comms, mar-comms, branded content, and content marketing as a result
• There will be more movement across industries. Non-media brands will hire editorial leaders. And the editorial brands will hire non-media leaders for roles once reserved only for media folks.
Of course this is just MY opinion. I’m dying to hear what YOU think the last year was like — and what is in store for this industry and your career moving forward. Take the survey!
Survey is closed. Results coming soon!
THE EDITORIAL HIRING REPORT SURVEY
Bonus! Just by taking the survey you could win a free coaching session or resume makeover.
Chandra Turner is founder and CEO of Ed2010 and Talent Fairy. She is a talent recruiter specializing in the content and media space. She also offers personalized career coaching for media professionals at all stages of their career.